Post-doctoral Scholar, Knowledge Lab
I grew up in and around Chicago, went to college in Tacoma at Pacific Lutheran University studying computer science and philosophy, liberal arts style. I received my masters degree from University College Dublin in cognitive science and I began my PhD at Trinity in the Fall of 2010. In September, 2013, I submitted my PhD in computational linguistics and started work at the Knowledge Lab as a post-doctoral scholar.
My interests have clustered around novel and large-scale natural language processing and figurative language, both with a distinct slant toward cognitive and social sciences. I’m interested, specifically, in how large data-sets of structured linguistic information relate to patterns of information use. One example is tracking how people’s description of stock-markets relate to the markets themselves, or tracking trends in the grammatical context of key terms in a corpus. As part of the Knowledge Lab, I hope to explore the how emergent properties of text and information influence the dynamics of knowledge creation and use.
- Gerow, Aaron and Evans, James. (2014) Modular Community Structure of Linguistic Predication Networks. In Proc. TextGraphs-9, Doha, Qatar. Available here.
- Gerow, Aaron. (2014) Extracting Clusters of Specialist Terms from Unstructured Text. In Proc. of the Conf. on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP) 2014, Doha, Qatar. Available here or here.
- Keane, Mark T. and Gerow, Aaron. (2014) It's Distributions All The Way Down!: Second order changes in statistical distributions also occur. Behavioral & Brain Sciences, 37 (1). Available here or here.
- Gerow, Aaron; Ahmad, Khurshid, and Glucksberg, Sam. (2013) The Concept of Contagion in Finance: A Computational Corpus-based Approach. In Proc. of the 19th European Symposium on Languages for Special Purposes (LSP 2013), Vienna, Austria. Available here.
- Gerow, Aaron and Ahmad, Khurshid. (2012) Diachronic Variation in Grammatical Relations. In Proc. of the 24th Intl. Conf. on Computational Linguistics (COLING 2012), Mumbai, India. Available here or here.
- Gerow, Aaron and Keane, Mark T. (2011) Mining the Web for the "Voice of the Herd" to Track Stock Market Bubbles. In Proc. of the 22nd Intl. Joint Conf. on A.I. (IJCAI 2011), Barcelona, Spain, 16-22 July, 2011. Available here or here.
- Gerow, Aaron and Keane, Mark T. (2011) Identifying Metaphor Hierarchies in a Corpus Analysis of Finance Articles. In Proc. of the 33rd Ann. Meeting of the Cog. Sci. Soc. (CogSci 2011), Boston, MA, USA, 20-23 July, 2011. Available here or here.
- Gerow, Aaron and Keane, Mark T. (2011) Identifying Metaphoric Antonyms in a Corpus Analysis of Finance Articles. In Proc. of the 33rd Ann. Meeting of the Cog. Sci. Soc. (CogSci 2011), Boston, MA, USA, 20-23 July, 2011. Available here or here.
In the Press
Knowledge lab blog post on the speed of scientific research